Become A Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the LBJ Presidential Library! Our volunteers have the can do spirit that President Lyndon B. Johnson and Lady Bird Johnson encouraged in all people. We depend on their valuable time and talents to welcome visitors, school groups, and researchers, as well as work behind the scenes on various projects. With thousands of hours of donated time, they are an essential part in helping us achieve our goals as an institution.
Volunteer shifts are flexible and available daily, year-round.
Attendants staff the information desk, monitor the galleries, answer questions, and direct visitors.
Tour docents guide museum visitors, including student and adult groups, through our permanent and temporary exhibition spaces.
Assist our archives and museum departments on various projects
- Annual holiday party
- Annual spring volunteer recognition luncheon
- Discount in The Store at LBJ
- Discount in joining the library's premier membership group, the Friends of the LBJ Library
- Gifts and acknowledgments for continued service
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Professional attire
- Time: three hours per week, one-year commitment. If you are a student, we are more than happy to accommodate your schedule through your summer and holiday breaks.
- Participate in volunteer training sessions
The library is a federal facility as we are part of and administered by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Due to this, all volunteers must submit to a federal background check.
Please note: The United States Government does not discriminate in employment (or in this case, in volunteer placement) on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
For more information or questions, contact our Volunteer Office at (512) 721-0225 or [email protected].