The Summit on Race in America
Apr 08, 2019
April 8-10, 2019
Register on Eventbrite
- - -
From April 8-10, 2019, the LBJ Foundation will host The Summit on Race in America. Civil rights icons will be joined by esteemed leaders, activists, musicians, comedians, and other artists for open, candid discussions on the failures, progress, and challenges our country faces on race today. While no exploration of the complex issue of race can be definitive or complete, we hope that in bringing together a myriad of voices, The Summit on Race in America will promote a deeper understanding of the challenges our country faces. In doing so, we also aim not only to strengthen our resolve for meaningful change but to foster greater unity among all Americans. (More from the media advisory)
Confirmed participants include:
- Andrew Young, former UN ambassador, congressman, and mayor of Atlanta
- Dolores Huerta, founder and president, Dolores Huerta Foundation and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Bryan Stevenson, founder and executive director of the Equal Justice Initiative
- Brittany Packnett, co-host of Pod Save the People and Teach for America's Vice President of National Community Alliances
- Valerie Jarrett, the longest-serving advisor to President Obama and author of Finding My Voice
- Madeleine Albright, former U.S. Secretary of State
- Comedians Aparna Nancherla, Dulcé Sloan, and Sasheer Zamata
- Jimmy Jam, Grammy Award-winning songwriter and producer
- Wyclef Jean, Grammy Award-winning musician
How to Attend
General public tickets will be released online at LBJSummitonRace.org on Monday, March 25 at 9 a.m. CDT. Once tickets are sold out, we do not anticipate that additional tickets will be released.
We highly recommend reviewing the schedule beforehand in order to expedite your ticket process. There are seven different sessions:
- Day 1 Evening – Monday, April 8
- Day 2 Morning – Tuesday, April 9
- Day 2 Afternoon – Tuesday, April 9
- Day 2 Evening – Tuesday, April 9
- Day 3 Morning – Wednesday, April 10
- Day 3 Afternoon – Wednesday, April 10
- Day 3 Evening – Wednesday, April 10
Important note: Tickets are required for attendance, however, a ticket does not guarantee you a seat. Seating is first-come, first-served. There will be a standby line for each session, but you must already have a ticket in order to gain access to the standby line.
If you're a student at The University of Texas at Austin, tickets will be released on HornsLink on Monday, March 25. Huston-Tillotson University, St. Edward's University, or Austin Community College students, tickets will be managed by your respective school. We will have more details soon on how to secure your ticket.
Director of Public Programs
LBJ Presidential Library
2313 Red River St.
Austin, TX 78705
LBJ Presidential Library
Please be aware that LBJ Presidential Library events may be filmed and/or photographed. Your attendance constitutes your authorization for the LBJ Library to use your photograph, voice, or other likeness for purposes related to the Library, including but not limited to marketing and promotion in both print and electronic forms.