Educator Evening: Chat with the Curator of “Get in the Game”
Apr 24, 2018
Tuesday, April 24
- - -
On Tuesday, April 24, 2018, the library hosted a special educator evening which included an exclusive talk and tour with Nikki Diller, the curator of the LBJ Presidential Library’s new special exhibition, Get in the Game: The Fight for Equality in American Sports.
About the Curator
In her roles as registrar and acting curator of the LBJ Presidential Library, Nikki Diller has participated in the library's last seven special exhibitions, including the main curation of Deep in the Vaults of Texas: A Campus Collaboration and now, Get in the Game: The Fight for Equality in American Sports.
Previously, Diller served as the curator for the Galveston County Museum and exhibition coordinator for Humanities Texas.
About the Exhibition
Get in the Game: The Fight for Equality in American Sports examines the intersection of social justice and sports in the United States. The exhibition celebrates athletes who have broken barriers and spoken out for equality, both on and off the playing field. Beginning in the late 19th century and continuing through current day, Get in the Game encourages visitors to think about sports as part of an ongoing national conversation and as a vehicle for social change.
Share your exhibition thoughts with us by using the hashtag #LBJGetInTheGame.
- Stephen Curry, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and LeBron James autographed jerseys
- Colin Kaepernick autographed football
- Olympic Fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad's hijab, mask, and jacket
- Nike Air Jordan Sneakers from 1985-2000
- Venus and Serena Williams' 2008 Olympic uniforms
- Muhammad Ali autographed boxing gloves
- Billie Jean King's tennis dress
- Jackie Robinson game-worn pants and autographed baseball
- Jim Brown shoulder pads and autographed football
- Jesse Owens' diary from the 1936 Olympics in Berlin
- Lee Trevino's glove and hat
- Negro League baseball jerseys and cleats
- Black Fives Era basketball artifacts
- All-American Girls Professional Baseball League artifacts
- And lots more!
The exhibition is on view to the public April 21, 2018 through January 13, 2019. Generous support of the exhibition is provided by The University of Texas at Austin.
Director of Public Programs
LBJ Presidential Library
2313 Red River St.
Austin, TX 78705
LBJ Presidential Library
Please be aware that LBJ Presidential Library events may be filmed and/or photographed. Your attendance constitutes your authorization for the LBJ Library to use your photograph, voice, or other likeness for purposes related to the Library, including but not limited to marketing and promotion in both print and electronic forms.